AN AYURVEDIC DAILY REGIME FOR GOOD ORAL HEALTH
In this modern age, staying healthy in a natural way is the priority for everyone. We all want a confident smile, white teeth, strong gums, sweet voice, healthy glowing complexion, wrinkle-free face and also want to get rid of bad breath, caries, and other oral diseases. Good news! You can do it at home with a simple practice of OIL PULLING.
What is oil pulling?
Oil pulling is a part of an ayurvedic dincharya i.e. daily routine. Even though people have started following this trend only recently, it is an old practice in Ayurveda for preventing oral diseases as well as maintaining good oral hygiene by pulling the bacteria out of the mouth.
How it is done?
Ayurveda explains two types of procedures:
- GANDUSHA which involves filling the mouth completely with medicated oil or medicated decoction and holding it for 5-20 minutes and then oil is to spit out.
- KAWALA GRAHA In which medicated oil or decoction can be easily and comfortably gargled in the mouth.
Oil Pulling should be done daily on an empty stomach in the morning before tooth brushing. It is to be started with l tsp of oil. Then, swish it in the mouth for 3-5 minutes, and spit the oil out. Also, as per comfort, increase the duration slowly for up to 20 minutes. Make sure not to swallow it because it contains harmful bacteria and toxins. At last, rinse your mouth with lukewarm salt water followed by brushing. One can repeat this method twice or thrice daily before meals. Kids can practice it after 5 years of age.
Which type of oil is to be used?
According to Ayurveda, the oil to be used in oil pulling is sesame oil, coconut oil, sunflower oil and olive oil which are easily available at home. But these oils should be cold pressed and unrefined. Other than this, Ayurveda also recommends milk & ghee for mouth ulcers and local burning sensation, while honey for quick healing, and lukewarm Triphala decoction for balancing Vata, Pitta and Kapha disorders of mouth.
These oral cleansing methods can also be beneficial for the following:
- It prevents bad breath, dry mouth and cracked lips along with a sore throat
- It is good for taste, maintains normal oral pH, prevents plaque buildup, increases circulation to oral tissue, and encourages strong and healthy gums & teeth
- It improves voice by clearing out extra mucus from the throat
- It is an effective exercise for neck, jaw, mandible and facial muscles as it prevents wrinkles and flabbiness of face, clears AMA (toxins) which improves digestion and health of the mouth, directly impacts our gut, strengthens the digestive system
Oil pulling is a simple rejuvenating treatment which, if done on a daily basis, enhances the senses, brings clarity, freshness, and lightness to the mind and body. So, make the practice of oil pulling a part of your daily routine and enjoy a good oral health.